vROPS Tenant App for vCloud Director
Earlier today Erik pointed me to something I totally missed: vROPS Tenant App for VCD. It’s already out there for a month!
You probably guessed what is is, since the name gives a lot of clues: It is a tenant app that you can use on a vCloud Directory platform to monitor your organization and resources.
Why vROPS Tenant App for vCloud Director
I like the ‘This is Jake’ videos. In a easy to digest video you learn about the vROPS Tenant App for vCD.
According to the release notes:
- extends vRealize Operations Manager to include vCloud Director constructs
- leverages vRealize Operations advanced analytics
- contains tenant specific monitoring, troubleshooting and capacity planning
- contains tenant Admin specific views to enable Operations Management solving monitoring, troubleshooting and capacity planning use cases
- provider Admin can pick and choose the tenants to whom access it to be provided. It can be provided as an extra addon.
- Photon OS based Virtual appliance (OVA) for easier installation
- Like all new VMware client it is a HTML5 Client based on Clarity
As you can see you get a lot of information as a consumer of vCloud Director resources.
As a service provider you, obviously, have to install the vROPS Management Pack for vCloud Director. You can get it on the marketplace. It contains out-of-the-box dashboards for resources objects that come from vCloud Director.
After that you need to create an adapter instance, so that the management pack can read, and understand, the objects from vCD. Optionally you can list the provider vDCs or organizations for which the adapter instance collects data.
Then you’re ready to deploy the OVF for the vRealize Operations Manager Tenant App for vCloud Director. Deploy this OVF as you would any other OVF.
vROPS Management Pack for vCloud Director v4.5 is compatible with vRealize Operations Manager 6.5 and above, and with vCloud Director version 5.6.4, 8.10, 8.20
For the tenant app itself you need vRealize Operations Manager 6.6.1 and a vCloud Director version that is supported by vRealize Operations Manager 6.6.1
Show me more
Ok, since you asked politely. The video below is a demo of the vRealize Operations Manager Tenant App for vCloud Director.
- vRealize Automation Management Pack for vRealize… by Erik Scholten
- vRealize Operations Manager Content Pack for Log Insight by Erik Scholten
- VMware releases vROPs management pack for OpenStack 1.5 by Erik Scholten
- VMware releases vRealize Orchestrator plug-in for… by Erik Scholten
- vCloud NFV Kick-starts Telco Providers by Martijn Smit
Anne Jan Elsinga
Anne Jan Elsinga is a Technical Account Manager for VMware. In the past he worked as presales and technical consultancy and architecture for several systems integrators. From 2009 until 2017 he was awarded with the VMware vExpert status. In the night time he dances latin, ballroom and salsa and he also discovered the pleasure of diving and woodworking. Recently he started blogging about smart homes and comfort in general.