VMware Horizon View 6.1 Released
VMware released version 6.1 of Horizon View. With this latest release VMware adds six new key advancements. These new capabilities will help you deliver unlimited access to desktops and applications at lower costs with better performance (think 3D performance) and at unprecedented scale. These enhancements will help you maximize operational efficiencies, consolidate control, and deliver user services at the speed of life.
Applications (SaaS, Web, ThinApp, RDS / Citrix hosted) that are presented through the use of the workspace portal can now take advantage of:
- Enhanced support for USB drives with RDS-hosted apps and session-based desktops for file storage, sharing, and collaboration
- Support for scanning and imaging devices with virtual desktops and RDS-hosted applications
- Client drive redirection to ensure simple drive mapping to a virtual desktop (limited access)
- Google Chrome client support (limited access)
- Client-free, HTML access to legacy Windows apps across more devices
With Horizon 6, developers and designers alike can enjoy immersive 3D graphics delivered from the cloud. Together with NVIDIA, VMware provides full support for the industry’s leading ISV applications including Siemens, ESRI, and Autodesk to allow customers across all industries to quickly and efficiently deliver required 3D services on demand.
Simplified and Optimized Leveraging optimized VMware Virtual SAN™ 6.0, Horizon ensures that customers can easily scale out and support up to 4,000 Horizon virtual desktops per cluster. Support for All-Flash Virtual SAN further ensures that end users can enjoy great experience with the best possible TCO. And for customers leveraging third-party NAS and SAN storage arrays, Horizon now supports Virtual Volumes VM-aware storage systems to simplify storage management and policy setting for virtual desktop infrastructure.
Fast, Easy, and Extensible VMware NSX™ with Horizon brings push-button simplicity to VDI networking. Within seconds, IT administrators can create and change policies for end users that dynamically follow them across devices and locations, with no need for time-consuming network provisioning or security rules. Organizations can easily scale up or down, knowing that each end user’s network security policy will remain intact. Extending security policy from the data center to the device, this joint solution additionally provides a highly extensible platform that integrates with industry leaders in antivirus, malware, intrusion prevention services, and next-generation security policies
Scalable and Available Across Sites
With Horizon 6, organizations can design virtual desktops around a wide range of validated technology partners or leverage hyper-converged infrastructure with VMware EVO:RAIL™ to linearly scale out desktops and apps on demand. Applications can be delivered in real time with VMware App Volumes™, now integrated with Horizon 6. Organizations can also ensure that end users can enjoy high availability with continuous access to services by leveraging the Cloud Pod Architecture available with Horizon 6.
- Predictable performance – Grow from 25 users to 1,000+
- Scale without impacting user experience
- Grow capacity by simply adding appliances
- New appliances are automatically discovered
Horizon is designed and certified to meet the most demanding compliance regulations including those of the U.S. Federal Government. With Horizon 6, VMware now provides
- Common Access Card support for simple and secure access to apps and desktops for agencies that require it
- End-to-end support for IPv6 networks for simplified packet processing and address assignments
VMware is additionally filing to achieve Common Criteria compliance and FIPS compliance for Horizon desktops and hosted applications.
With these new additions VMware Horizon View is once again making a big step to make desktops and applications more available.