VMware Integrated OpenStack
Today at VMworld 2014, VMware announced VMware Integrated OpenStack, a solution that will enable IT organizations to quickly and cost-effectively provide developers with open, cloud-style APIs to access VMware infrastructure. The VMware Integrated OpenStack distribution will leverage VMware’s proven software-defined data center technologies for compute, network, storage and management to provide enterprise-class infrastructure that reduces capital expense (CAPEX), Operational Expense (OPEX) and total cost of ownership for production-grade OpenStack deployments.
- VMware will deliver an OpenStack distribution optimized for VMware virtualization solutions that leverages all of VMware’s software-defined data center components — compute, networking, storage and management — not just the hypervisor, for building enterprise-class OpenStack clouds.
- VMware will package, test and support all components of the distribution, including the open source OpenStack code.
- VMware is running a qualified beta program for VMware Integrated OpenStack.
Interested customers can fill out the sign up page here.
- VMware Integrated OpenStack is scheduled for general availability in the first half of 2015.
- VMware has also partnered with OpenStack distributions including Canonical, HP, Mirantis, Piston, Red Hat and SUSE to make sure those vendors’ OpenStack offerings work well with VMware infrastructure.
Developers of next-generation Web scale and 3rd Platform (cloud, mobile, social, Big Data) applications have embraced API-based, programmatic access to the cloud infrastructure The OpenStack framework has emerged as a tool for IT to provide application development teams with programmatic access to the infrastructure. But organizations, particularly enterprises, have found deploying OpenStack can be time and resource intensive, and the underlying infrastructure does not always meet their requirements for security, resilience and performance. Once deployed, an OpenStack cloud can require ongoing
consultant support, hard to find OpenStack experts or considerable staff education and training in order to maintain operations. IT has also lacked the critical management capabilities to ensure ongoing success of sophisticated OpenStack production deployments in the enterprise.
The founder and driving force behind VMGuru. With over 20 years experience in IT, he now works as a Cloud Management Specialist at VMware Benelux. He worked as technical consultant, pre-sales and solutions architect for several systems integrators.
He’s a long time VMware VCP, VCP Desktop, VCA, VSP and VTSP, vExpert Cloud (2017) and 9 year vExpert (2009 – 2017).