VMware Security Advisor
While browsing the Shavlik.com website I stumbled on a small but powerful hidden away gem in the pages named VMware Security Advisor.
Are you aware of all your security risks? Security Advisor provides you with the ability to perform a no-cost security scan on your machine, domain, or IP range. It instantly reports the following critical information, all ranked by severity:
- A snapshot of your environment including the number of missing patches, missing security patches and the average number of missing patches per machine as compared to the community
- Systems Center ranks machines by severity and identifies the machines requiring patches
- Software Center shows the software by vendor as well as the software titles requiring patches
- Patch Center indicates the percent of products missing patches not covered by WSUS as well the number of missing patches and number of vulnerable machines
- Community Center identifies how the security of your IT environment compares to the community
I used the scan on my own system to determine what it does, after you click the button to scan your system/domain/ip-range it will download an ST.OpsCloud.Client. Also will it check your system which browser you are using. It identified I have Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome installed so it asked me which one to use so it could prep the browser with a plug-in or add on in My case with Firefox.
After the preparation the scan took less than 2 minutes to determine which software is on the machine (and I must admit I have a lot installed), after that you get a report printed on screen. It is also possible to get a link mailed to you with a download link in it where you can download the full report generated.
Just try it out here, I think it is a nice tool to help us all in the ongoing security, management and keeping things working day by day routine.
- vCenter Server appliance 6.0 URL-based patching by Sander Martijn
- Trend Micro to help tackle Shellshock vulnerability by Edwin Weijdema
- VMware releases first ShellShock patch by Alex Muetstege
- Untangle the mess! Network issues with VMware VMs by Sander Martijn
- Launch of VMware NSX 6.1 by Anne Jan Elsinga
Edwin Weijdema is a Solutions Architect at Veeam for the Benelux & Nordics region and has over 20 years of experience designing, implementing, and managing data center technologies for large companies. His areas of expertise include virtualization, networking, and storage solutions. He knows what it takes to add business value to partners and customers. He is a veteran vExpert, Cisco Champion 2015 and holds several other certifications.