Limited management & automation support for vSphere
Update April 22th 2009: Today the rumor mentioned below was confirmed during the vSphere 4 launch.
Rumor in the VMware community has it that the next version of VMware ESX, vSphere, has very limited support for the VMware management and automation suite. vSphere will of course be available with vCenter for basic management and automation tasks but the rest of VMware’s great product suite is not supported in the initial release of vSphere.
So there won’t be support for:
- VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager
- VMware vCenter Lab Manager
- VMware vCenter Lifecycle Manager
- VMware vCenter Stage Manager
- VMware View
In my opinion this is a mistake. I understand the pressure is on and VMware should release a new version fast to challenge the competition. But releasing a product which does not support the majority of your former product suite is not a clever move.
From what I understand this is also a discussion within VMware so let’s hope VMware gets wiser and postpones the release or add support for the VMware Management & Automation suite soon.
- VMware releases first ShellShock patch by Alex Muetstege
- VMware released Update 1 for vSphere 6 and much much more by Alex Muetstege
- Managing Amazon EC2 VMs from the vSphere client by Anne Jan Elsinga
- vRealize Automation 7 – Improved Authentication by Erik Scholten
- vRealize Orchestrator Cisco UCS Plugin is available now by Erik Scholten
The founder and driving force behind VMGuru. With over 20 years experience in IT, he now works as a Cloud Management Specialist at VMware Benelux.
He worked as technical consultant, pre-sales and solutions architect for several systems integrators.
He’s a long time VMware VCP, VCP Desktop, VCA, VSP and VTSP, vExpert Cloud (2017) and 9 year vExpert (2009 – 2017).